egypt Welcome to Ain Shams University

Know your University

  The Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University ... a history dating back to the era of Muhammad Ali Pasha
Returning back to the law establishing Ain Shams University (Ibrahim Pasha Al-Kabeer) in 1950, we found that the first article stipulates that the university consists of faculties that were already existing and their affiliation moved from Fouad I University (Cairo) to the nascent university, and other independent faculties that were self-contained and were annexed Directly to the university, and high institutes that have been converted into faculties, and among these institutions is the “Higher Institute of Engineering in Abbasiya”, which was established in 1839 AD during the era of Muhammad Ali Pasha under the name of the “Technical Operations” school with the aim of graduating technicians and engineers in the fields of civil and military industry.
Then, Khedive Ismail decided to develop the School of Operations in 1868 AD, so he established the “School of Arts and Crafts”, and other technical departments were introduced in it.
In 1918, it was decided to separate the Department of Arts and Decorative Industries and transfer it to Saraya Al-Orman, which later became the Faculty of Applied Arts (Helwan University).
In 1932 AD, the Department of Mechanics and Electricity and the Department of Buildings and Construction moved to the Serail of Abdo Pasha's palace in Abbasiya, and called it the School of Applied Engineering.
Then a ministerial decision was issued in 1946 AD to convert it into the Higher Institute of Engineering, which became the nucleus of the Faculty of Engineering at Ain Shams University.


The secrets of Zafaran Palace as told by university professors

Instead of writing about the " Zafaran Palace", we preferred to listen to the history and secrets of the palace from university professors and to enjoy watching the palace from the inside, which is a luxurious architectural masterpiece in addition to being a witness to his time and the historical events he went through, and the seat of the presidency of Ain Shams University since 1952.







University Faculties ... Establishment and Dates 
Until 1969 AD, Ain Shams University had 8 faculties: Arts, Law, Business, Science, Engineering, Medicine, Agriculture and Girls.

In 1969 the Faculty of Education was established, and the Faculty of Al-Alsun was established in 1973.
In 1994, the Faculty of Pharmacy and Dentistry were established.
In 1995, the Faculty of Computer and Information Sciences was established.
In 1998, the Faculty of Specific Education was established.
The Higher Institute of Nursing was established in 1980, which was transformed in the year 2000 into a faculty.
In 1981, the Institute of Graduate Studies for Childhood was established, which was transformed into a faculty in 2017.
In 1982, the Higher Institute for Environmental Studies and Research was established, which was also transformed later into a faculty.
In 2015, the Institute of Graduate Studies of Papyrus, Inscriptions, and Restoration Arts was added, and in 2020 it was replaced by the Faculty of Archeology.
Recently, studies have been started at the Faculties of Mass Communication and Veterinary Medicine, keeping pace with the development and the university's endeavor to perform its effective cultural role over the years.




The logo of Ain Shams University

The logo was designed by Prof. Dr. Ahmed Ahmed Badawy, Professor of Archeology and the third president of Ain Shams University from 1956-1961 AD.
It depicts the extent of the connection between the name and the ancient history of the university, as the obelisk represents the house of life in the city of "O'n", while the two falcons symbolize the Egyptian god "Horus" at that time.
When you look closely at the university's logo, you will find the name written inside it in the hieroglyphic language (Bar-Ankh Iono), meaning Ain Shams University.






Ain Shams University is not just an educational body, but also a permanent revival of a name derived from the ancient Egyptian civilization.

In the past, Dr. Taha Hussein, Minister of Education at the time, adopted the project to establish Ain Shams University (Ibrahim Pasha Al-Kabeer University) in 1950 AD, in memory of the great Egyptian leader Ibrahim Pasha bin Muhammad Ali.
Its name was changed after the July Revolution from (Ibrahim Pasha Al-Kabeer University) to Heliopolis University (the ancient Greek name, meaning the city of the sun) on February 21, 1954 AD, and the name was changed in the same year to Ain Shams University, reviving a name derived from the ancient Egyptian civilization as a kind of rooting nobility, relative to the Ain Shams region, where the oldest university ever existed in ancient Egyptian history, which is the University of (Iono) O'n.



Ain Shams University (Ibrahim Pasha Al-Kabeer University) Beginnings... 7 faculties and two institutes

When Law No. 93 regarding establishing the university was issued in 1950 AD, it stipulated that the university should consist of the following faculties and institutes:

The Faculty of Medicine: Its nucleus is the Faculty of Medicine in Abbasiya, affiliated to Fouad I University
The Faculty of Arts: Its nucleus is the literary section of the Higher Institute for Teachers.
The Faculty of Science: Its nucleus is the scientific department of the Higher Institute for Teachers.
The Faculty of Engineering: Its nucleus is the Higher Institute of Engineering in Abbasiya.
The Faculty of Agriculture: Its nucleus is the Agricultural Institute in Shebin El-Kom.





Zafaran Palace has been the seat of the university presidency since 1952

After the issuance of the law establishing Ain Shams University (Ibrahim Pasha Al-Kabeer) in 1950 AD, the Site Selection Committee of the Ministry of Works agreed in 1951 AD to allocate a plot of land of 196 acres of government property to be a site for building the new university faculties.

In October 1952, Major General Muhammad Naguib gifted the "Zafaran Palace" to Ibrahim Pasha University, so it was annexed, and the university administration moved to it. Since that time, the Zafaran Palace was the seat of the university president.

In November 1952, Major General Muhammad Naguib, accompanied by al-Bakbashi Gamal Abdel Nasser, went to visit the university. He was received by Prof. Muhammad Kamel Hussein, the university director, the deans of the faculties and thousands of university students.


The University Campus around Zafaran Palace

As we mentioned earlier, in October 1952, Major General Muhammad Naguib donated the "Zafaran Palace" to the university, and the university administration moved to it. Since that time, the Zafaran Palace was the seat of the university president.

The university administration began expanding the campus around the Zafaran Palace in 1962, by building new buildings and faculties one after the other.

The expansions began with the demolition of the old annex building, and the existing administrative buildings were built so that the Faculty of Science could move there.

The old "Al-Rasd Khana" building was also demolished and the current Faculty of Arts building was built in its place. Then the faculties of Law and Business also moved to the buildings prepared for them on the university campus.