Offering an advanced vocational program in the field of remote sensing and geographic information systems that is serious achieves excellence for the graduate and makes him competitive in the labor market.
Providing an appropriate teaching and training environment according to high-quality standards to ensure that its outputs are qualified in accordance with the latest technologies and applications related to the specialization.
The diploma targets the following segments:
The category of university graduates from all disciplines in Egypt and the Arab and African regions,
The category of workers in geographic information systems units in various institutions and companies,
The category of workers in research centers related to the fields of remote sensing and geographic information systems.
Donor educational institution:
Ain Shams University, in partnership with the National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences.
Program name (code DRSGIS):
Professional diploma specializing in remote sensing and geographic information systems.
Program start date:
The academic year 2018/2019
Total credit hours required to complete the program:
(36) credit hours.
The nature of the study:
The study deals with scientific courses of an applied technical nature, with a duration of one university year (two semesters) “the duration of each semester is “16 weeks” - in addition to a summer semester, the student has the right to study diploma courses within a period of time not exceeding three years from the date of registration in the diploma, with no minimum number of credit hours taught by the student each semester.
* Qualification obtained by the student upon completion of the program: Advanced Professional Diploma in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems.
* Place of program submission: The program is supervised by the National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences (as a house of expertise) in partnership with Ain Shams University, and lectures will be given in some faculties of Ain Shams University and specialized laboratories in the National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences, according to the academic schedule.
The program focuses on providing the graduate with a set of skills and capabilities that give him a competitive advantage to work in the following professions:
Geographic Information Systems Specialist.
Remote Sensing Specialist.
Participate in developing the capabilities of researchers in the field of remote sensing and geographic information systems within the framework of continuing education.
The general objectives of the program
The remote sensing and geographic information systems diploma program aims to:
• Preparing qualified cadres to keep abreast of developments in modern technologies for remote sensing and geographic information systems through an advanced science curriculum that combines theoretical and applied aspects according to the actual needs of the local and regional labor market.
• Preparing qualified graduates to provide technical and informational support to decision-makers and to contribute to solving community problems inside and outside the Arab Republic of Egypt in order to evaluate them and put forward proposals for their development.
• Contribute to promoting the use of remote sensing techniques and geographic information systems and their applications for development purposes inside and outside the Arab Republic of Egypt.
The specialized objectives of the program
It is certain - by the end of the diploma - that the recipients of this diploma should have the following knowledge, skills, and capabilities:
• Understand the basic principles and concepts of remote sensing techniques, geographic information systems, and related technologies.
• Identify the scientific and technical means and tools used in the processing and analyzing of space and aerial visuals.
• The ability to analyze and interpret spatial and descriptive data, while carrying out the operations of collecting, storing, analyzing, and presenting them to decision-makers through remote sensing techniques and geographic information systems.
• Acquisition of scientific capabilities and technical skills required for the use, development, and management of geographic information systems in various fields.
• Developing appropriate methods using remote sensing and geographic information systems to study and analyze the problems encountered during professional practice in various fields.
• Using remote sensing techniques to monitor natural changes and human activities on the surface of the globe.
• Learn about aerial photographic survey techniques and process their data.
• Acquisition of the necessary skills in dealing with multi-sensor satellite visuals, accuracy, and how to use and apply them in various fields.
• Proficiency in programming languages related to GIS programs.
• Apply and evaluate methods and models related to geographic data.
• Familiarity with high-capacity sensing techniques and geographic information systems, their applications, and how to use and analyze their data in various fields
• Spatial statistical analysis (geo-statistics).
• Acquisition of project management and follow-up skills and teamwork skills.
• Gain presentation skills for GIS and remote sensing applications.
• Mastering the practical application of geographic information systems and remote sensing data through the implementation of the graduation project work.
General conditions for admission and registration
• Students apply for diploma enrollment in accordance with the admission procedures in force at the university.
• A student who has a bachelor's degree from one of the universities recognized by the Supreme Council of Universities is accepted to study in the program without any conditions, whether the graduation estimate or the time period after obtaining the bachelor's degree.
• The student must complete the documents and forms required by the Graduate Studies Department at the university.
• The student chooses the appropriate courses for him from the elective courses in addition to the compulsory courses, and completes the course registration form, and has it approved by the academic advisor and the Diploma Board.
• The student is not considered registered in any course until after paying the tuition fees.
• Registration is mandatory for the student to allow him to attend and calculate his courses.
• A student who does not register before the end of the second week of the fall and spring semesters, or the first week of the summer semester, is not entitled to attend the lectures.
Conditions of registration and amendment
Students are registered for courses no later than the end of the second week of the start of the study in the fall and spring semesters and the first week of the summer semester; the student can make modifications, and deletions, in addition to the registered courses, provided that this takes place before the end of the third week of the start of the study in the fall and spring semesters and the second week of the summer semester.
The study system is subject to the general rules stipulated in the unified regulations for postgraduate studies at Ain Shams University, its executive rules, and any other rules established by the university within the framework of the regulations approved by the Supreme Council of Universities.
The study plan consists of:
The total number of credit hours required: (36).
The number of credit hours for compulsory courses: (27).
The number of credit hours elective courses: (9).
Autumn semester: starts in September or October, according to the date set by the University Council, and lasts for 16 academic weeks, including examinations.
Spring semester: starts in February according to the date set by the University Council and lasts for 16 academic weeks, including exams.
Summer semester: starts in July, according to the date set by the University Council, and lasts for 8 academic weeks, including exams.